So you’re commuting to work now by running, walking or biking.
If you’re walking or running you’ll need to record at least the distance you are doing so you know when it’s time to replace your shoes before you begin to be plagued with nagging injuries. See our article on when you should replace your running shoes.
Things to you consider when choosing an app for your phone.
These are just some of the things that you might want to think about when choosing an app that’s right for you.
Ease of use – you want to be able to do the basic things in the app without sending large amounts of time trying to get it started or working out how to use it.
Accuracy – it needs to be fairly accurate with its measurement of your distances otherwise why bother.
Low battery drain – you don’t need it running your phone flat.
Uploading to a Website – for more detailed analysis of your commute.
Nice clear interface – so you can read time and distance during your commute.
Reviews – Does it have good reviews? Are lots of people happy with the app?
Music – Can you play music while you commute?
Support and upgrades – Can you get these easily?
Social Media – Do you want to share on Social Media? Does the app allow integration with Social Media Platforms?
We’ve come up with a list of free apps available for your mobile phone. They are in no particular order.
Just kick off the app as you walk out the door and don’t forget to stop it when you get to work.
#1 – Nike Run Club
Great app for a beginner or an experienced athlete.
- Full support for android wear os devices.
- Track and store runs.
- Audio-guided runs with nike coaches and athletes.
- Global and custom challenges.
- Personalised coaching plans.
- Trophies and badges to celebrate your achievements.
- Compete on leaderboards.
- In-run cheers from friends.
- Share runs with anyone.
#2 – Endomondo – Running & Walking
Great for your runs, walks, rides, and other workouts.
- rack, log, and analyse your workouts.
- Get audio feedback on distance and pace/speed for every mile/km.
- Notifications when you hit a new personal best.
- Sync with other apps and a large range of wearables.
- Set goals and take on challenges.
- Get social– follow your friends’ workouts live– send and receive real-time audio pep talks.
- Add pictures to your workouts and tag your friends.
- Share results and workouts on your favourite social networks.
- Automatically synced with your profile.
#3 – RunKeeper
Long time favourite with many runners.
- Track your pace, measure workout distance.
- Chart weight loss.
- Crush your training goals.
- Sync your Heart Rate Monitors and Android Wear smart watches.
- Run while listening to music – RunKeeper automatically integrates with your phone’s music app.
- Sync Runkeeper.com with other fitness apps you’re all ready using.
- Set fitness goals and track your progress over time.
- Share your fitness activities and successes with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.
- Compete against your friends for a top spot on monthly activity leaderboards.
#4 – Runtastic
Easy to use interface.
- Track your workout & fitness training activities.
- Map your activity’s mileage, distance, time, speed, elevation, calories burned, and other stats.
- Get training guidance and audio feedback.
- Monitor your running statistics to analyse your exercise and training patterns.
- Set fitness milestones & goals for your running, walking, hiking, cycling, and exercising activities.
- Further motivate yourself by joining any of the challenges.
- Track miles for your running shoes it will let you know when it’s time to get a new pair.
- Have a 3D look on your run afterwards by connecting your account to the Relive app.
- Use with Android Wear, Garmin Connect, Polar Flow, Google Fit & Runtastic Wearable Connect.
#5 – Rock My Run
Get motivated with your favourite music.
- Increases your motivation and enjoyment.
- Talented DJ’s create running music and workout music mixes to give you the best exercise music.
- Mixes build in BPM (beats per minute) during your workout to help keep you going.
- All songs are specially selected and seamlessly blended together.
- Adjusts music tempo of mixes and playlists to match your steps or goal cadence.
- New suggested mixes feature tailors mixes and playlists based on your listening preferences.
- Choose from a wide variety of genres including Pop, Rock, Hip-hop/Rap, EDM, 80’s & 90’s.
- Use it for a commute playlist.
- Works seamlessly with other running apps and tracking apps.
- Backed by science, tested by EPARC, a leading exercise research lab based in San Diego, CA.
#6 – Zombies, Run!
Need some real motivation? How about running for your life?
- Ultra-immersive running game and audio adventure.
- Every run becomes a mission where you’re the hero.
- You run to the perfect mix of heart-pumping audio drama and your playlist of pulse-pounding songs.
- Walk, jog, or run anywhere – works anywhere and at any speed.
- You become the hero in an epic story of humanity’s struggle for survival where your running really matters.
- Choose your own custom playlists before you run: the story unfolds in between your tracks .
- Activate Chases to kick things up a notch. When you hear zombies on your six, it’s time to speed up.
- View detailed graphs and stats for your entire running and game progress.
- Works with Wear OS by Google.
- View and share your runs online with zombielink complete with maps and full run history.
#7 – Garmin Connect
Join millions of users who walk, run, bike, hike and strive to beat yesterday.
- Can create new workouts, build courses and challenge your friends to compete, all within the app.
- View today’s health data in vivid detail on your personalized My Day page.
- Analyze your activities and their related statistics.
- Create customized workouts and courses.
- Sync with other apps like MyFitnessPal and Strava.
- Review personal records for steps, distance and pace.
- Earn badges for accomplishments.
- See how you measure up to other Connect users with Insights.
- Get support for Garmin devices and their features.
#8 – Map My Run
Reach new running goals with a community of over 40 million runners.
- Track and map every workout getting feedback and stats to improve your performance.
- Discover the best running routes, save and share your favourites.
- Log over 600+ activities with the largest selection of activity types.
- Get audio feedback on every GPS-tracked run, with customizable voice feedback for stats.
- Connect with 400+ devices to import and analyze all your data in one place.
- Add your running shoes and track mileage with Gear Tracker.
- Sync your data with the hottest apps and wearables, including Google Fit, Android Wear, Garmin.
- Get social and share your workouts on Facebook and Twitter.
- Join Challenges to compete with others, climb the leaderboard, and win awesome prizes.
#9 – Sports Tracker
Sports Tracker is the social sports tracking application and service that started it all with millions of users.
- Track and analyse your workouts and back up on Sports Tracker’s online service.
- Voice feedback during training.
- Share your fitness progress, photos, workouts, favourite maps and more with friends on Social Media.
- Make workouts private.
- Explore the globe with Route Planner to discover and find new routes, trails and adventures worldwide.
- Plan your route beforehand and adjust the distance to match your fitness level.
- Easily save your favorite routes to run, hike, MTB or bike in any area.
- Follow your route in the app to stay on track and see the local’s favourite routes when travelling.
- Analyze your route-specific performance with the “On this route” feature.
#10 – Strava Tracker
Strava is Swedish for “Strive” – Strive (Verb) To make great efforts to achieve or obtain.
- Track your fitness with Strava activity tracker and compare your performance over time.
- Record activity, map your favourite workout and analyse your training with all the stats.
- Try out a new trail with distance tracker Strava & join millions of active people.
- Track and map routes, distance, pace, speed, elevation gained & calories burned.
- Push yourself with a monthly Challenge & compete with others.
- Use your Android device or pretty much every GPS device out there.
- Record, share routes and photos on your Strava feed so friends & followers can comment.
- Set your own fitness challenges, time or segment goals and get customisable training plans.
- Get live feedback to help you train safer & perform better.